The UPSC IAS examination is divided into 2 parts i.e. preliminary examinations and the UPSC IAS Main examinations. The preliminary exam will consist of two papers i.e paper (i) and paper (ii). Both of these exams carry 200 marks each. The candidates after clearing the prelims have to appear for the UPSC IAS mains.
The UPSC IAS main examination is of 1750 marks followed by an interview round of 275 marks. The marks obtained by candidates in the IAS mains decide their rank. The candidates appearing for the UPSC IAS examination can download the IAS Preparation Syllabus from below.
UPSC IAS / Civil Services Syllabus 2019
Below you can refer to the UPSC Syllabus for the UPSC Prelims Exam – General Studies Paper 1 Syllabus, CSAT (Paper 2) Syllabus and UPSC General Studies Mains Paper 1,2,3,4 ( All Papers ), as released in the UPSC Official Notification.
UPSC Prelims Syllabus
Syllabus for GS Paper (Prelims Paper I)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialisation General Science
Note 1: The questions in both Paper-I (current affairs) and Paper-II (aptitude test) will be of multiple choice, objective type for 200 marks each and the time allotted for each paper is two hours.
Syllabus for CSAT Paper (Prelims Paper II)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Note 2: The CSAT aptitude test or Paper-II will be a qualifying paper only with a minimum of 33% to be secured to qualify for the Mains exam.
UPSC Mains Syllabus
|Paper – I||Essay (can be written in the medium of the candidate’s choice)||250|
|Paper – II||General Studies – I (Indian Heritage & Culture, History & Geography of the World & Society)||250|
|Paper – III||General Studies – II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice & International Relations)||250|
|Paper – IV||General Studies – III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Security & Disaster Management)||250|
|Paper – V||General Studies – IV (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)||250|
|Paper – VI||Optional Subject – Paper I||250|
|Paper – VII||Optional Subject – Paper II|
Download UPSC IAS Preparation Syllabus PDF
Click here to download the UPSC IAS examination 2019 syllabus PDF.
IAS Exam 2019 Important Dates
|About the Exam||Important Exam Dates|
|Commencement of Online Application||February 19, 2019|
|Final date to Submit Online Application||March 19, 2019 (6:00 PM)|
|Date of IAS Preliminary Examination||June 2, 2019|
|Date of IAS Main Examination||September 20, 2019|
Few Important Links for UPSC IAS Exam 2019-2020